Saturday, July 8, 2017

Postcard fun on an Alaska Cruise

My bags are unpacked, photos are edited and posted, and I've worked my postcard finds into files for my family and swap partners.  I guess it's time to report on my finds.  Here are the most interesting ones:

My system worked - almost.  In my last blog, I describe how I packed for my cruise.  For the most part, the system worked.  I just ran out of room in the file box and carefully packed a stack of swap cards separately.  By filing the cards while I was on the trip, it saved me time at home.

Buying ahead wasn't entirely necessary.  Before I left, I'd purchased cards from Alaska photographer Mark Kelly for 25 cents each.  When I walked into the ship's gift shop, I found his cards being sold there - at the same price.  No cruise ship mark-up.

Postcards were abundant and inexpensive in the tourist areas of the main towns.  Competition keeps the price down - typically five for a dollar in Ketchikan, where I found the "Deadliest Catch" postcard - perfect for fans of the show.  We didn't have much time in town on the Juneau stop, but I did find Lantern Press cards - the most desired by many collectors - for 50 cents.  Because our Skagway and Victoria excursions took so long, we had no time in town for shopping.

Prices in tourist spots outside of town were higher, but still worth checking out.  The observation center at Mendenhall Glacier is run by the U.S. Park Service, I expected to find Lantern Press there, but no luck.  I did find a couple of drawings by a local artist, one of which makes reference to the fact that the glacier is receding.  (They also had Mark Kelly's postcards at a higher price than I had paid online or were available in the ship's store.)  I also paid more on our bus trip to the Yukon; I don't really remember, because it was in Canadian money (so it doesn't count, right?).  They had a terrific Lantern Press card of a Mountie for $1 Canadian, which is an acceptable price for LP, which are commonly priced between $1 and $2.  Same story at Butchart Gardens, but again the prices were Canadian so it didn't feel like real money (smile).  They also sold Canadian stamps, if I'd been ambitious enough to write and send the cards before we reboarded the ship.  (I wasn't.)

Biggest surprise? Postcards onboard ship.  On previous cruises (between 2003 and 2008), we'd found postcards of the ship themselves, including a book of cards showing different sites on the ship which was great for scrapbooking.  Things have changed in the past decade.  On our last cruise, we found only one postcard - a 3D view of the ship which sold for $5, which is high even for 3D cards.  On this cruise, not only did I find the Mark Kelly cards at a reasonable price, but also a Lantern Press view of the card for just 80 cents!  (Even less with my 10% discount for being a frequent NCL cruiser.)

Most fun? Seeing the look on the clerk's face when I handed them a stack of postcards.  I buy my postcards in groups of 10 - one of each of my kids, and the rest for other family and swapping.  If there is a line for the clerk, I generally count them out in groups of 10 to make it easier to check out.  I have my explanation down, "I have five adult children and three grandchildren.  I send them postcards every week so they have something in the mail besides bills.  I also swap with other grandmas around the world."  It's an oversimplification, but it satisfies their curiosity.  And most think it's a really good idea.  The tourist towns import young people to work the stores during cruise season.  Homesick, I think I few wish their mom would do the same.

Lesson learned?  If you book a long excursion which takes most of your time in a port, resign yourself to not being able to shop.  That was totally OK with me, since: 1) I had purchased the Mark Kelly cards before I left; and 2) I'll be in the same ports (plus Sitka and Icy Point Straight) next year when Hubby and I take a cruise for our 40th anniversary.  And I'll take some of these cards along so I can send cards to the kids from each port.

What did I spend?  I have no idea.  But as the commercial says, being able to share the vacation with family and recalling cruise memories when I send them to swap partners - priceless!

No comments:

Post a Comment